This easy-to-make bag holds everything!
Mother's Day is just around the corner...let's hope you've left your gift hints where they'll be found. But what about your favorite moms? They deserve a little love too!
Today, we're sharing a super-simple DIY project anyone (and we mean anyone) with a sewing machine and a spare hour can sew. Minimal supplies and just a few straight seams make it a cinch to stitch, and they'll love toting it to the market, on roadtrips or to the library...you will too!
Why not treat all the special ladies in your life? It's sew simple! Get all the details below.
Tea Towel Drawstring Bag
Make 'em for your favorite moms and make one to keep too!
Before you get started...
Choose tea towels from your collection that are in the very best condition. This bag will need to hold some weight, so keep the more delicate ones for other projects, or just to admire. Before working with them, wash, dry and gently press with a cool iron.
Here's what you'll need:
• Tea towel (ours is 28" long)
• 30" length of 1/2" wide twill tape
• Safety pin
• Tracing paper
• 2 felt scraps
• 2 buttons, 1/2" diameter
1. Keep the length of the towel and trim it to 8-1/2" wide. Matching the right sides and short ends, fold the trimmed towel in half.
2. Leaving a 1" opening 2-3/4" from the top on one side, use a 1/2" seam allowance and sew the sides of the bag together. Trim the corners to make turning easier, and press the finished seam open.
3. Press the top edge 2" to the wrong side. To form the drawstring casing, sew around the top of the bag at three points: 1-3/4", 3/4" and 3/8". Turn the bag right side out.
4. Fold one end of the twill tape and insert the safety pin through the folded end. Starting with the pinned end, insert the tape into the opening at the side seam. Run the tape through the casing and remove the pin.
5. Cut two flowers from felt. Stitch the flowers and a button at the end of the tape, as shown in photo.
That's it...you're done!
Not your bag? Here are a few more crafty projects to try...